Saturday, August 25, 2012

When things dont go as planned

This week was a small microcosm of life. Many things planned and an idea of the week would shape up, in hindsight the plans didn't come together. The plans and ideas didn't go as I would have liked them to.
So how does this affect my attitude and the way I treat other people? Yesterday afternoon I was frustrated because some logistics didn't work out, I was tired, didn't want to talk to anyone, and just wanted to get home. As I was grumbling and muttering to myself I realized I was oblivious to my surroundings and the people around me. I was inside a storage unit facility and not 10 feet away from me was an elderly couple struggling to pick up a full size frig.
This poor couple was hispanic and didn't speak much English. I sheepishly laughed to myself as I realized how self absorbed I was. Very easily I helped them out and they were very thankful.
Perspective can change pretty quickly when we aren't so self minded.
The rest of the day I was thinking about the way God works in life. Was my being there at that exact moment for me, for for me to be a help to this couple? How many other moments were missed during the week because I was only concerned about what I wanted to do?  When the questions like where was God when? Is the answer the Christians are too self absorbed and missed the opportunity?

Life is about the big and the small moments. This was a very small insignificant moment, something very simple and something that will be forgotten by all very quickly. But I hope for me this will be a reminder that my life, and time isnt just about me. Actually it has very little to do with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment