Wednesday, November 20, 2013

different decisions

Last night my wife and I were watching "the internship" a movie about two street smart minus book smart guys doing an imternship at google. I was laughing very hard at one scene specifically. They  played some harry potter game with brooms balls and crazy weird stuff. I was as clueless about this game as the two street smart guys in the movie were. Jill was a little miffed because she had read harry potter and understands this game that I cant even pronounce. In this specific scene the game is tied and the underdogs have momentum they have figured out the game, then all of a sudden this guy in a yellow suit jumps onto the field and one of the guys looks bewildered and says "who the blank is that?" My thoughts exactly. I guess the point was to grab that guy and steal some tennis ball from him and you win.
I have no idea I dont know anything Harry Potter.
Movies make light and exalt the different person. Not only are they usually the underdog but they are culterally clueless. They do things different than what everyone else is doing or do it in a totally different way.
It always amazes me of how much of my routine habits and general views of life are pretty ingrained and I view them as normal. Are they normal? To me they are. Generally speaking Im pretty comfortable with the way I do things. But does that mean that I would change if I was challenged?
Yesterday a group of us were talking about following Jesus and the word radical came up. Im under the impression that Jesus lived a life where people expected Him to follow the social cultural and religous norms. He did none of those. He made difficult and different decisions. I dont think He acted out of spite or shock. But yet He did shock people.
I have wrestled for a long time of what does it mean to live like Jesus. Ive wanted to see it in others.
What living like Jesus is probably looks a whole lot like the clueless guys in the movie. They probably dont know the church culture real well. When something that is normal to us they exclaim what the blank is that? We look at them in astonishment I cant believe you dont know that tradition or cultural importance of that.
Those are the people Im most curious about and want to be around. I want see those who may not be so concerned with pleasing the majority rather doing what is right.
It is very hard for me to read the Bible and not think that the heros would be chastised in our current culture. Building an ark(noah) being a converted murderer(paul) im not sure our culture would give them the time of day.
Yet throughout Christianity those who didnt succum to the religous culture are the ones who continue to inspire admonish and emulate the life of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment