Sunday, November 10, 2013

the disconnect with Jesus

A couple of months ago I read a job posting the title of the job was "act like Jesus" pastor. It was amusing as I read the job description because it described a different way of life than most people are use to or even would want to emulate. As I think more about this concept I realize there is a huge disconnect between the life I live and Jesus' example.
I began to think of Jesus' life in practical terms, what did He do? How did He interact with people? What was important to Him? If I want to be like Him how would my life change?
This isnt extensive but just begins touching on what I see in Jesus' life.

-his interaction with materialism. This is so hard for me to grasp. Culturally we have an idea what moderation looks like. We have a thought in our minds of how we want to live comfortably. Im not sure if Jesus owned much if anything of physical value. When He was crucified the guards basically rolled dice for his last remaining possesions. If Jesus wasnt entirely concerned about physical possesions why am I? Why is this even anywhere on the scorecard of life? If anyone asked me to borrow anythong why would I say no even if I knew they wouldnt return it? I dont have a good answer to any of those questions from a faith perspectives but this is the way I live my life.

-being passionate enough to cause a problem. How awkward would it have been the day Jesus walked into the temple and basically put a beating on everyone using it for their own gain? Im sure there have been at least a few times in past 2000 years that the church has needed some shaking up due to using God for our own gain.

-not defending Himself. Jesus never demanded people to follow Him. I dont read His words attitide or posture as arrogent or condecending. Now He was straightforward loving but never rude. It is so hard not to be defensive when we talk about faith or other issues we feel we are right about

-he didnt cater to those in perceived authority. Why in the world did he pick the disciples he chose? Why was He calling out the religous people constantly? Why did he spend time with the underbelly of society? Why did he care so much for the sick and disabled? Why is it so hard for me to treat the outcast the same as someone who can help me ?

-he wasnt scared of socities outcasts. Touching lepers not stoning the adulteress being accused of being a friend of sinners.

Im curious to meet the person who was hired to be the act like Jesus pastor.  I can imagine it being extremely difficult not just because it is our culture but im not sure this flies in most organized religous contexts.

No comments:

Post a Comment