Friday, August 5, 2011

"How does Kyle interact with God?"

"How does Kyle interact with God?" was a question I was asked one day. To be honest it was the first time I had thought about it.

I knew how important faith had been in our Jill and my lives. But how important was/is faith important in Kyle's life? Could it be quantified, or measured in any way?

Faith in the western context is many times measured by knowledge, and if this is all we have to go on with Kyle- his faith is shallow if existent at all. The quantifying ideas of scripture memorization and basic Bible facts can not be a fair way of assessing of what is going on in Kyle's ife.

I personally believe that God has created each and every person on this earth and He desires to interact with each of us. I don't think that mental capacity hinders God.

Kyle doesn't know all the implications of his disease. He doesn't understand and sometimes says things like "when I get older I will be able to run or play baseball."

I tend to complicate faith and over analyze it. But as Jesus said in Mark 15:10 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.

Simplicity and faith is what I hear and see in Kyle. He isn't jaded about life the way I am. This is the way he approaches relationships and the way he talks about God.

He told us one day Jesus was going to heal him. I don't know where he heard that or even if he understand what that means. But he was pretty sure of it.

He has said things from time to time about heaven and going there. It is very easy to talk about our families faith and from our perspective, but it is a very different thought when putting ourself in Kyle's shoes.

I don't know if I have a good answer to the question of how Kyle interacts with God. But I am pretty certain that he does. I also know that I am learning more about God by watching and listening to the simple way Kyle lives his life.

1 comment:

  1. This is soooooooo good, Pastor Ben. Thank you for sharing this with us... Nothing could be more right than what you said about Kyle... this is the promise to anyone who has faith, in fact.
    We will be all be healed one day; Kyle is absolutely right... absolutely right.

    Rev 21:1-5

    21 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

    5 He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." NIV

    ReplyDelete