Wednesday, August 10, 2011

In a world of can't there is an amazing can

There are many can'ts in Kyle's life. There are many limitations on his physical ability. But there are some things that Kyle is amazing at and one is his memory.
I have a tendency to misplace or lose things. When this happens, Kyle is the first person I ask. Kyle can tell me without hesitation where the last place he saw it was.
Kyle remembers most things he hears, he reminds us daily of the promises and the words we said. He reminds us when punishment for his brother and sister was doled out. He reminds us when there is a party, outing, or some other fun thing was planned. Actually if the idea ever came up Kyle puts it into the fact catagory. We have to be real careful not to talk about ideas in front of him. He has spread word to the rest of the family about plans that were only ideas.

The other day I wasn't wearing a seat belt driving and I was stopped and issued a ticket by a police officer. Kyle was the only one in the car with me and I told him lets keep this between you and I. He agreed and it hadn't been brought up throughout the day. The first thing he said to Jill when he saw here 6 hours later was "dad was naughty and was arrested by the police." The hope of him forgetting wasn't going to happen.

He reminds me of when I was a boy I ate playdough (a story I had told him one night a few years ago.)

He brings up special moments of conversations and moments that have slipped my mind. Two nights ago we were laying on his bed talking,and he looked at me and put his finger in my mouth and yelled "fishhook." We hadn't done that form of affection in about 3 years. Kyle was reminding me of moments that have been special to him.

It is easy for us to think of the can'ts in Kyle's life, but this is a big can. Although there are not many secrets in our house, it is this part of Kyle that brings us together as a family. We have laughed so many times from stories that Kyle has brought back to our memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment