Friday, September 30, 2011

a dream coming true- in a different way

I am a romantic and an idealist, I tend to have unrealistic expectations. Hopefully as I have gotten older this has mellowed, but it has led to all sorts of different issues in marriage, jobs, relationships, and life in general.
With my kids it was the same thing, before Kyle was born, my thoughts and dreams were unrealistic. The first thing we did when he was born was watch a football game together. The thoughts and ideas of this great sports star rolled through my mind. Sports had played such a huge part of my life (and still does to some degree)of course it would play a big part of my kids lives.
Kyle playing football would be a normal part of life, I could imagine it that day sitting in the hospital. He would be ten times the athlete I was. He would take after his moms side and be the football player his grandfather was, after all he recieved a scholarship from the Citadel. So it wasn't that unrealistic for him to be really good.
As life progressed I came to realization that this would never happen. I would never see Kyle in a football uniform, on a field.
But that isn't true. On October 14th Kyle is going to be in a jersey on a football field. Duchenne has become the main cause/disease that college and high school football coaches are fighting. Schools all over the country are bringing children with DMD onto the fields with the teams.
Through a extremely motivated person, Valpo high school is going to be honoring Kyle on October 14th. He will be involved in the coin flip, and will be wearing a valpo high football jersey with his name on the back, and sitting on the sideline. They may even do a pep rally at his school.

This dream of Kyle being on a football field is going to happen. No, this is nothing like I would have dreamed, or imagined it to have happened. I am not going to give up on my romantic, ideal thinking. But I am going to stop crafting how the hopes and dreams of life will look like, because the blessings in our life tend to look awhole lot different than what I would have envisioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment