Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Disabilities show God's glory

Since the day Kyle was diagnosed I have been on a quest to understand, I have wanted to understand through a lense of faith. I have wanted to put words in God's mouth, I have wanted to believe those who have said God is physically going to heal Kyle.
I don't think I have a total grasp on the theology of disabilities, maybe a start or maybe a few concepts that I semi-understand. But it plagues my mind, and thoughts. My mind tries to grasp who God is, why He would allow someone to be born with disabilities, and my own faith.

As I think about the theology of disabilities. I start with the premise that God is sovereign. God is all knowing, all powerful, and many other attributes. (a great blog to learn more about the attributes of God is http://25anchors.wordpress.com ). If God is all of these things why does he allow disabilities? is it a product of sin and mankind? Did God intend every human to be "perfect" or normal? When a person with disabilities dies what are they like in heaven? Are they "normal"? I am not sure I was right in some of my previous thinking. I think the Bible is clear there won't be pain, crying, death (rev 21:3-4). But to think that someone with a disability does not reflect the glory of God is wrong. Does sin cause disability?
John 9:1-4 brings up so many of these issues. The disciples much like us think disbility is caused by sin. Jesus answer God's works might be revealed in him. Exodus 4:11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD?

What does that say about God- how can a God make someone that isn't perfect? Maybe perfect looks different to God than us.

1 Corinthians 1:27- But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

I can't give an answer or build a theology that is 100% correct there are so many things I don't understand, but yet I believe God fearfully and carefully made individuals with disabilities. They bring God glory in ways that many of us can't. I am not going to put words in God's mouth nor am I going to try and make the Bible something I want it to say. If those with deformities bring glory to God why do we miss it? How have so many societies banished those with special needs to the side, how have so many churches viewed those with special needs as a problem and not as someone made in the image of God? I can't answer any of those questions other than for myself.

What happens on the flip side when those can see God through disabilities? What happens when God's glory is shown? Maybe it is more than we realize but our eyes are shut, or we are too busy avoiding that we miss it?

God please let us see all of the people you created through your eyes and your lens and let us see your glory through each person.

3 comments:

  1. Ben, your blog is SUCH a blessing! I'm always glad to share your posts on our Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. What is the facebook address?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.facebook.com/snappinministries

    ReplyDelete